Sunday, September 01, 2013

See You In September

A man asked me why I don't blog more often, he missed my blogging. So here I am. There's an easy answer as to why I haven't been blogging very often.  Lately, all my early morning writing has been poured into a book, not a blog.  It's pretty tricky to pull off both. Think of the plate-spinning guys.  Yes, I suppose you can do it, but does anyone like the sound of plates crashing and smashing?  I don't.

From Vogue: Saint Laurent by Hedi Slimane
Photo by David Sims
There's one thing I want to write about this September morning, the 902 pages of the new September Vogue magazine. Actually, I just want to write about the first fifty pages or so.  I like the Saint Laurent girl Hedi Slimane has dreamed up in those pages. She reminds me of my heroine Monica Kroy.

She's got clunky boots and skinny legs and a short skirt with a big wool sweater thrown on top that doesn't match.  She's headed out on some amazing heroic adventure (think Hunger Games girl, Jennifer Lawrence, who happens to be on the cover of the magazine this month) and the romantic and sexy men who might long for her, really can't keep up with her. She's impromtu and spontaneous. She has an inkling of something far away she needs to find, wants to visit, might even invent, a world to conquer. The loose wool sweater or cute jacket she throws on doesn't need to match, she just needs to get out the door.

She might wear the scent of the horse-back riding Ralph Lauren woman, page one, inside the cover of Vogue -- called Romance -- but she's not that girl.  That girl is all passionately wrapped up in a guitar-playing man and pretty children.

Saint Laurent's girl is the lead guitar player. By 50 pages into the magazine, you see her peering out a very large castle-size window at the ocean. She's got a large, ominous vision. The next page she's gone from full-color to black & white, from looking at fish to sporting fishnets, clunky mini-dominatrix duds and an impatience for the guy taking her picture that says, "Let's just get on with it. I have places to go,"  But "it" is not about romance or sex. It's something larger.

She is not looking for a hero. She's the hero. She's not looking for a man.  She'll pick one out when the spirit moves her and she can take any one of them she wants.  She's got a very wide world to investigate. Get out of her way guys.


Labels: , , , , , ,