Saturday, April 02, 2011

Old Dogs / New Tricks


Blogger is offering me "5 New Views" and other cool new stuff which is probably very cool and new and all, but when I come to this page, I don't want to focus on anything but WRITING.

I have 26 cool, but not so new, tools ... a, b, c, etc. You've seen them around, I know. You can do some pretty incredible things with those tools. In fact, one of the best things I read this week used them. It was an e-version of Aesop's Fables. I asked my teenager son to guess when it was written. He's not a literature major, so it wasn't really fair. He told me what all kids his age say, "look it up in Wikipedia, Mom!"

He knew the fables were written a long time ago and guessed ... 1850. [Only glad he didn't say the year I graduated from college which he considers ancient history as well.] He was off by a few years, but he let me read him the tale and we talked about the moral. It was called the Wolf and the Lamb. He remembered the other ones -- Ant and the Grasshopper and others. I did go to Wikipedia:

Aesop's Fables or Aesopica refers to a collection of fables credited to Aesop, a slave and story-teller who lived in ancient Greece between 620 and 560 BCE. His fables are some of the most well known in the world. The fables remain a popular choice for moral education of children today. Many stories included in Aesop's Fables, such as The Fox and the Grapes (from which the idiom "sour grapes" derives), The Tortoise and the Hare, The North Wind and the Sun, The Boy Who Cried Wolf and The Ant and the Grasshopper are well-known throughout the world.


So yes, maybe I'm an old dog who doesn't want to learn new tricks and upgrade my Blogger experience. Or maybe I know the old tools are good tools and the stories they let me tell should be the place I put my attention.

Picture Credit: Aesop's Fables