Monday, February 11, 2008

Winter Afternoons

I am a Bostonian. I was a kid from Connecticut growing up. I was a NYC baby, playing in the park -- Central Park -- as a tiny girl. And so I'm used to wintry cold February afternoons, or I should be.

And this is a not-half-bad-one, very sunny, sharp-hurt-your-eyes sunny, not that we can find our sunglasses around here. They're in the closet in some beach bag, we don't use them in February.

Sunny and a little cold. Let me check. Oh yeah, a warm 22 degrees with wind making it "feel like 9 degrees", looking forward to a lucky 13 degrees tonight with winds of 30 mph.

Do I have to spell it out for you warm climate people? What it means? How your face feels like it's being peeled off by the wind? And the clothes required. Just figure you're talking 20 minutes dressing time to just get out the door ... hat, mittens, scarf, boots, heavy socks, big sweater, turtleneck under that, maybe ski long johns, give up on blue jeans, they feel like you're wearing NO PANTS when it's this cold. Better go with wool.

So you snow birdy folks, enjoy your day. I have my tea and my window on an icy snowy woods, but I'd trade it for the beach today, believe you me. Can I think about Hermosa today? Ah, wish I were there.