Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Death and Dodgeball

The morning dawns and I'm fiddling with the TV, popping in my yoga DVD, and scanning the Weather Channel (a balmy 14 here in January), then I happen onto some very strange distance learning TV station doing a program on statistics and probability.

They are talking about life insurance. They are showing the likelihood of dying by age ... 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, etc. Oh Lord 70 is a tricky place to be. Good luck all you 70's folks today. Bottom line: insurance agents know ... like Vegas, the House always wins. The odds are stacked against us, my friends.

It's just like dodgeball, I'm noticing, and believe me I'm noticing more and more, they are taking out the people on either side of me. That's one hard evil ball, hard to dodge sometimes. Surprise hits, like Marc Orchant, shit, I miss you.

Here comes the ball. I see everyone scrambling and scattering as the ball heads for us, move, move, move, I have to shout! Keep moving! Really it matters, keep your body in motion. I see me working out, run, Halley, run! I see you, run, Kiddo, run! I remember a guy in a bright green jersey I saw one delicious spring morning running under the Eiffel Tower, run man, run! Keep moving that body, keep that body moving, don't let the Death Guy grab you by the ankle and drag you down.

Yoga's sweet, but not fast enough this morning, Time for iPod and my boy Bruce Springsteen. Time to dance. Time to shake a leg, a hip, a butt. I need his Magic. Yes, Girls In Their Summer Dresses. He has the antidote.

She went away, she cut me like a knife
Hello beautiful thing, maybe you could save my life
In just a glance, down here on Magic Street
Loves a fool's dance
And I ain't got much sense, but I still got my feet.

Thanks, man. You can help us all fall in love instead of fall down and it seems a damned good plan to me.

Photo Credit: BruceSpringsteen.net