Wednesday, March 14, 2007

JetBlue And Dreaming In Code

This is an odd tale where I recount how JetBlue delivered spectacular customer service last week on my flight from San Jose to Boston, when I left my autographed copy of Scott Rosenberg's great new book, Dreaming in Code, at the check-in kiosk and one of the JetBlue employees managed to find me by the gate, walk the book through security like a babe in arms and get it back to me safe and sound right before I flew home to Boston.

Well, guess I gave away the whole story, but honestly, I love JetBlue and I really think we all need to give them another chance and NOTICE all the good things they do.

I was so bummed out when I got through security and was getting ready to board to suddenly notice I HAD LOST SCOTT'S BOOK!?! I flashed on placing it on top of the kiosk when I got my boarding pass, but even so, didn't have time to go back and get it.

I was sitting there forlorn, wondering who would end up with my book, when I noticed a JetBlue rep in the security line WITH SCOTT'S BOOK.

It gets funny here ... because in the waiting room, sitting right nearby, getting on my same flight were two other people reading two other copies of the book ... so I'm beginning to think, WHAT THE HECK, IS EVERYONE READING THIS BOOK? And is one of those books MINE?!

It was like an old rerun of TO TELL THE TRUTH, with three people pretending to be one person. Which of the three books might have been mine?

One sexy looking geek sitting a few rows away was reading the book voraciously, rather like someone eating ribs, and I stole a quick peek at him and noticed he was in the last few pages of the book, so he couldn't have been my book thief.

Then when the JetBlue lady made it through security, I jumped up and waved at her, "I think that's my book!" She came around the shoe tying area to talk to me, asking me two questions.

"Did you leave this on the kiosk up front?" she asked, but still wouldn't hand it over yet.

"Yes, yes, I did, thanks," I said.

Still she held tight.

"Is it about dreams and dreaming?" she was ruffling through the pages, looking very interested.

"Well, it's a great book, but it's not really about dreams, it's about ... well, computers and geeks," I said smiling.

"Oh," she said, looking disappointed, then looking around the waiting room.

I got the feeling she had her fill of computers and geeks working in San Jose Airport. She handed the book over willingly.