Monday, February 12, 2007

Riding Around With Two Birthday Cakes

So it was my birthday last week and I have to say I had a terrific birthday. I got great gifts, I was interviewed by Debbie Weil on her podcast show, I got some very good news I'd been waiting for, I had a fun lunch and a fun dinner, I even ended up with two cakes. That was the only problem. I've been on a diet since the beginning of the year and even one cake was trouble. But then ... it WAS my birthday ... what's a girl to do ... you can't NOT have cake. I mean, come on, you have to have a little bit of cake, which I did. But then ...

I realized a day or so after my birthday, when I had nearly 3/4 of a chocolate cake that said HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM left over and 1/2 of a Strawberry Shortcake also lurking in my fridge, I had better RELOCATE these cakes. The dieting theory that "what you can't see can't hurt you" usually works for me.

If the cakes stayed in the fridge, they would be eaten. So they had to go. But it wasn't garbage day and I got the idea ... I'll put them in their original boxes, put them in a shopping bag, put them in the back of the car and throw them in some dumpster somewhere. (Why not down the disposal in the sink, you ask? Well, we've been having "some issues" with that and I didn't want to cram two cakes down there.)

So my cakes have been riding around in the back of my car. And if you've noted the weather lately around Boston, believe me, they are no temptation, as their fluffy textures and creamy frosting are now the consistency of a bowling ball.

But, like library books you just can't seem to return to the library, I keep forgetting to toss my two cakes. I now own a two-cake Camry. Yes, my car has some very special features -- rear defroster, luxurious grey plush bucket seats stained with ketchup and Coke, old math homework crammed into the side panels -- and two cryogenically preserved cakes.

Today. Yes, the cakes have got to go. Today.