Friday, May 12, 2006

I Hate Knowing The Ending

I've loved reading Doris Kearns Goodwin's Team of Rivals, The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln, but I'm getting towards the end of the book and ... ugh ... I hate knowing the ending.

Lincoln attended the theatre often in his last few years -- it was really a great release for him and a way to put so many pressures aside. He loved Shakespeare, he knew and enjoyed meeting many of the leading actors and actresses of the day.

He often invited cabinet members to join him at the theatre, just to relax and take their minds off the war and all the political machinations of the Republicans, the Democrats, the Abolitionists, the Southerners, everyone.

I suppose there might be some small good in his assassination happening in his favorite place to leave the world behind.