Monday, January 16, 2006

Politically Incorrect: Martin Luther King Day

I'm finding that there's been a steady erosion in celebrating Martin Luther King Day since it was first established as a holiday.

It was first celebrated on January 20, 1986, after being signed into law on November 2, 1983.

I remember when it first started, that businesses simply closed on that day for all people to celebrate this amazing man.

Then I remember in later years, many businesses having a misguided notion that only African Americans should have the day off ... and I always felt this was so strange.

Martin Luther King was about freedom first, like Ghandi was. One was African American, one was Indian. Both were about civil disobedience and changing the way people thought.

Now, I feel as if the holiday's dwindled to a blip on the calendar. What does that mean about our society? Nothing good, I think.

How are you celebrating today?