Friday, December 16, 2005

Identity Fraud

Someone is using my email address frauduently and now I have to figure out what to do about it. I don't think they have any of my other data, so I don't know how this could help them.

I'm contacting the retail store and travel site who sent email confirming their fraudulent purchases to my email address yesterday. It surely means I'll have to ditch my email and get a new account which is a pain in the ass. What's unsettling is to know now far reaching their theft is.

I had a little episode with identity theft -- with my debit card and not my email -- happen to me in LA about 6 years ago and there was so little anyone could do for me, especially the police. It can be a nightmare. And I HAVE HAPPEN TO HAVE A UNIQUE name, try dealing with it when you have a relatively common name.