Friday, December 09, 2005

Blizzard With White-Out Conditions, Thunder And Lightning

Crazy snowstorm here in Lexington. I could barely see a block ahead of me while I was on my cross-country skis. They plowed roads but the snow is pouring down at 3 to 4 inches an hour, so the roads are instantly covered back over, which is GOOD for me skiing cross-country, but terrible for drivers.

When I got home, I shook out my hat, it was breaded in snow. As I whacked it along side of the outside wall, a burst of lightning happened. It was really weird since the sky is so thick with snow, I didn't even realize at first what it was. I turned around in the entryway, thinking a light had burned out. I couldn't believe it was lightning and then BOOM, it was followed by thunder.

The report on the news is that there are near white-out conditions and we'll probably get something like 10 to 12 inches. I can barely see out now that the wind has blown the snow into the screens and even up against glass where it's stuck in icy flakes.