Friday, October 28, 2005

Strengths And Weaknesses: Needs Improvement? Not Me!

Ever have to write something stupid like this -- STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES -- for a job interview or a performance appraisal?

I can be a big smart ass when it comes to writing crap like this.

I had a really good job in a real company with real benefits like a predictable paycheck and stuff in late '80's, early 90's ... I mean I actually was there over five years.

The first year my modern feminist girl boss wanted me to "assess myself" which sounded fun at first.

There was a whole page of strengths to fill out and I was way into that, I jammed the page with tales of my many talents.

And then there was this page about weaknesses and "Needs Improvement" and I brought the whole package back to her with that last page blank.

She was puzzled. "You didn't fill this out -- the "Needs Improvement" section" she said.

"I don't need improvement," I told her.

She just stared at me.

I looked at her like she was nuts, "Why would I fill that out? I'm not telling you what's wrong with me. You gotta find that out on your own. I don't come here every day looking for improvement. Let's make a deal, I won't try to improve you and you don't have to bother improving me."

Ah, the slippery slope of corporate intercourse ... I was headed straight out the door to Free Agent Nation even back then.