Wednesday, September 21, 2005

From the Greek, "To Run Through"

I have a big problem spelling a certain word. I don't know why, but I always have. Even when my kid was in diapers and it was a condition I had to deal with all too often ... I still couldn't spell it. Call it a psychological block.

But now that I searched it and got some good info off Wikipedia, I realize if I just knew Greek, or belonged to a frat or sorority in college, I would find it easy to spell.

Ready, check out the Greek letters at the link and you'll get it too: D-i-a-r-r-h-e-a. It's that darned "H" popping up in the middle of the word that always throws me off.
Diarrhea (AmE) or diarrhoea (CwE) is a condition in which the sufferer has frequent and watery or loose bowel movements (from the ancient Greek word xxxxx* = leakage; lit. "to run through"). In the Third World, diarrhea is the most common cause of death among infants, killing more than 1.5 million per year.

*xxxxx -- whoops -- my software won't show the Greek letters -- any clues fellow Blogger users -- is there html to remedy this? Weirdly it shows Greek letters in my draft format, but didn't publish them.