Monday, July 25, 2005

Tutoring

A mom next door -- the mom of one of my son's friends -- saw me at the mailbox this morning and asked me if I was a tutor. She's Korean and her niece is visiting this summer. She wants a tutor to work on English with the little girl who's in 4th grade. Was I interested? She got the name of a tutoring service but they have a long long waiting list.

I can't ever refuse such a request when I think back on all the great teachers I had -- especially when I was a pretty tiny girl -- and just starting to learn French.

It takes a lot of time, but I love words, love language, love kids, so I've got myself a new job in the evenings, tutoring this pint-sized Korean girl. She's the cutest thing.

Tonight we started out with some song lyrics, This Land Is Your Land, and some reading (Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH) and some dictation. She's pretty great already. I wish my kid were learning Chinese and had already made that much progress!