Friday, March 11, 2005

9 Degrees

It's 9 degrees here this morning. I know everyone is sick of me ranting about it, but the relentlessness of this cold weather is hard to tolerate. Also, hard to describe to people from warm climates.

It's not that one day is bad -- you can manage to bundle up on one given day. It's the day after and the next day and the next day and the next day and the next icy wind and the next dumping of a foot of snow and on and on it goes.

Yes, I love skiing. Yes, I love ice skating. But you have to also get out the door and go to work now and then. And so it's not like you can actually spend every snowy day on the slopes ... I wish I could but I can't.

Going out every morning and adding 15 - 30 minutes warming up your car (or maybe it just doesn't start at all) -- digging it out -- scraping ice off of it -- all of this BEFORE YOU CAN EVEN GET OUT THE DRIVEWAY. No fun.

And you can't wear any pretty clothes that show off any pretty part of your body, because in this weather an exposed area will be a guaranteed prescription for a head cold, or pneumonia, or frostbite, or god know's what.

You can't wear sexy shoes -- unless you want to end up with frozen, wet feet, ruined shoes and one slip on ice in a high heel and you're flat on your ass in a pile of slush or snow. Lovely.

Okay, I'll shut up now. I know it's hardly important in the big scheme of things. Just needed to rant a bit.