Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Election Day: Last Thing On My Mind

It's nearly 8:00am and I still haven't voted, honestly it's the last thing on my mind suddenly, despite being really into politics and really into this election.

I have a 9:00am appointment to follow up on a ... how to put it ... breast cancer scare. I was picking up a bunch of laundry the other day, holding it tight to my chest like you hold a baby and had a very sharp pain in my right breast, no where near reasonable for the task. It wasn't like I was pressing the laundry hard against my chest at all, that was what was alarming.

I have a good friend (known him since he was 10 years old) who's a breast cancer surgeon now and I talked to him first. He told me not to worry but to get it checked out. It could a lot of things other than cancer.

So all the other stuff is a tumble -- chads, voter suppression, touch screens, democracy, blogs, news, Bill O'Reilly, Jon Stewart, and what's his name, Karl Rove, Mr. Bush, Mr. Kerry -- it suddenly doesn't seem to matter that much.

And just like all of us are eager to get SOLID REAL election results, despite visiting the doctor this morning, I probably won't get a real answer as to what is going on with that pain for a few days or many weeks. I guess we'll all have to learn to be patient today.