Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Flu Vaccine: Grave Issue

No matter how safe a driver you are, you can be taken out by someone else's bad driving. We all know that.

Similarly, I've been thinking about the greatest risk of not getting a flu shot this year. I know I'm healthy and have managed without a flu shot before, but this year, I'll come into contact with many less healthy people who will NOT be protected and could get me sick. This worries me. It's not MY missing flu shot that could bring me down -- it's theirs.

And that's only the beginning of my worries. This vulnerability in the US allows any home-grown terrorist the opportunity to spread the disease with the proverbial ease of shooting fish in a barrel. No suicide bomber required -- just a few sick snotty-nosed kids sent to kindergarden on a school bus will do. Feel free to tell me I'm overreacting, but I don't think I am.