Monday, June 14, 2004

Storyteller

Business Week asked me about blogs and business recently and I still think the thing I thought from the beginning -- blogs are all about telling stories.

In fact, I think they are about the most perfect medium for telling stories ever dreamed up.

They are like little installment novels -- serial fiction -- bit by bit recounting an ongoing story.

Thing is ... business is all about stories too, but I think we want to take it more seriously, so we shy away from saying it's just a big soap opera. Because of that, it's hard for a mongrel form like a blog to seem "business-like" but try it for a while -- it's not that big a stretch -- blogs will be the best way to tell the stories of business you've ever seen. Specifically, they will be enormously well-matched to letting sales and marketing folks tell their tales.