Friday, April 30, 2004

Poet's Corner

Not only is our new library just gorgeous and full of cozy chairs and large hassocks and windows and sunlight and air, but one particular favorite nook is right next to all the poetry books. I call it Poet's Corner.

I hadn't noticed whether the shelves held cook books or geography or algebra, I just loved the chairs there. But the other day I was snuggled into an armchair to read and when I came up for air, looked over at the shelf and realized all these wonderful people were lined up there looking over me -- all the Beat Poets in their great black beatnik garb -- shelves full of them and down the way, I saw Auden, Frost, Dickinson, Plath -- all my pals -- and on the far side I can see the more modern poets like Pinksky and Brodsky, one of my professors at Columbia, unfortunately no longer with us, but his words are. All his words right there at my Poet's Corner.

Of course my friend Matthew, a poet, didn't miss it for a minute. It's our favorite haunt now.