Sunday, March 14, 2004

Who Am We?

I mean, "who are we?" I mean, "who am I?" I think that's the question any really good book makes you ask yourself. The book I'm reading describes the heights of wealth and the life of a real estate and frozen food tycoon as his kingdom crumbles, along with the life of an out-of-luck working stiff. We leave his mansion and sexy second trophy wife lying beside him under a $750 duvet to wake up later with a blue-collar frozen food picker driving to work in one of his factories. This guy, who only wants to save his few pennies to buy a cheap condo for his wife and two kids, nearly gets killed in a factory accident only to be a hero at the last minute saving himself and a co-worker, then gets a pink slip in his paycheck later that day, out of a job all because the tycoon has done such a scandalous job of financial mismanagement of the company. Good book.