Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Greenwich Time

The newspaper in the town I grew up in was called the Greenwich Time and I remember getting a little confused as a kid that there was something called Greenwich Mean Time. Being from Connecticut and a New England Yankee, I figured this had something to do with the people in Greenwich, England being a little bit nasty -- slightly MEAN -- mostly because they lost our American Revolutionary War and were still cranky about it.

Reasonably, as all children do, I figured the world revolved around MY Greenwich and that Greenwich Mean Time was some sort of second-rate, not so nice place called Greenwich after our town in Connecticut.

The British always looked a little less friendly than the Americans when I was a kid anyway, so I appreciated them distinguishing their town from ours, which would be better known as Greenwich Nice Time.