Monday, March 08, 2004

Dear Listeners

This story is a humdinger. I used to live in LA and listen to KCRW all the time. I thought Sandra Tsing Loh was terrific. And I specifically remember listening to the general manager who fired her, Ruth Seymour, ad infinitum on fund raising drives, because Seymour was one of the stupidest, most annoying people I've honestly ever heard on radio.

I remember thinking, "who the heck would think this woman would inspire anyone to give money to the station?" and "who the heck let this idiot on the radio?" and then thanking the jerk who did so, because I never felt guilty about NOT supporting the station once I'd had an earful of this woman. I remember asking a friend if he thought this was some sort of anti-fundraising campaign -- that they put Ruth Seymour on just to get people to call the station and pay money to get her OFF the radio.

And the biggest irony of this whole business -- is that the woman was fired for mentioning she wanted to have sex with her own husband!?! I thought Bush and Powell and all the boys in Washington wanted women to have sex with their husbands -- what did I miss?

So are we witnessing THE NEW MORALITY or a great new excuse to get rid of employees you hadn't found a convenient way to get rid of until now?

Thanks to Doc for the link.