Saturday, February 28, 2004

Shopping Late At Night

I like the feeling too. I like doing a lot of things at the wrong time.
I love grocery shopping at night, when it's quiet and the store is mostly empty. Especially in a large, nice grocery store. I used to do it quite a bit when I werked from home, when my schedule was all backward.

It wasn't even particularly late today when I went - 10pm - but it's pretty late for most people to do their shopping in this area. I have my choice of parking spots in a normally packed lot.

It's nice to be able to walk leisurely through the store without bumping into people, and I don't mind the boxes they've set out into some of the aisles to start restocking. In fact, I think I find it sort of comforting in an odd way. It's a little like being backstage at a theatre.

It seems that the night staff is more laid back, too. . . Or is it me? The cashier and I hold a lazy conversation as he packs the groceries, unhurriedly.

Outside again, the night air is warm. I walk slowly to the car, swinging my grocery bags slightly. I should do this more often.