Friday, January 30, 2004

Orkut Virgin

If one more friendly person sends me one more invitation to join Orkut -- I'll scream. Don't mean to be rude, but if you do the math of the time I've spent on Friendster and then LINKEDIN and then how fast people are jumping to Orkut, it begins to feel like going from 33 1/3 RPM vinyl records to CD's to MP3's (all compressed into 6 months) -- I don't want to keep replacing my collection. If you take the social software adoption hockey stick curve and project out in time, I'll be joining new friendly networks every 3 days pretty soon.

There is most decidedly a diminishing rate of return, if you consider how fast these things are coming at us and I envision a scenario where I spend NO TIME WHATSOEVER WITH ACTUAL FRIENDS but instead, spend all my time joining FRIEND NETWORKS.

So, I am not joining Orkut and if you want to hang out with me -- I'm still in both Friendster and LINKEDIN.

If someone can give me a convincing argument for getting me into bed with Orkut, feel free to try, but I haven't seen any yet.