Friday, January 09, 2004

More On What Makes People Happy

Some more links on what makes people happy. I'm particularly keen on the subject, as I am a very happy upbeat person and am often criticized by unhappier folks in my life for being so happy -- believe it or not. That I need spend a minute defending my right to be happy or being the slightest bit apologetic about it, seems insane, but I think I often attract people who are not so naturally happy and they start to find my bright wattage really annoying. It's taken me a lifetime to learn to steer clear of these folks.

Here's some more happy links. Many refer to having GOOD SOCIAL NETWORKS. Some are a little off the beaten path. Check them out. Try this for a slant on political happiness. And you might what to know what Peter Drucker thinks about happiness. This link is about the assumption that economic growth will make us happy and a brave Australian policitian takes this idea apart. In England, here's a reference to an Oxford professor's findings that being married is a key factor in happiness, especially for men.

How to make children grow into happy adults -- all about social networks again. Here's a bit from this last link: "Very happy people all have one thing in common -- good social relationships," said Diener, who is known as "Dr. Happiness." "And most very happy people have meaningful, internal goals they enjoy pursuing."