Wednesday, January 07, 2004

Letter Writing

I've been doing a lot of letter writing lately -- to strangers -- at MEETUP's like tonight, to tell them how passionate I am about electing Howard Dean for instance. I love writing letters. I like putting passion in a letter -- good place for it. There's something wonderfully intimate about a letter.

I like the knowledge that someone has touched the paper, or at least, held a pen in their hand and scribbled in their own handwriting across it. A person's handwriting is so unique to that person -- nothing like an email or a form letter.

One thing for sure, a letter takes time. Something rare in our world. A letter is proof someone sat down, thought about you and took time to let you know they were thinking about you. I regret these days with such instant communication, this younger generation will not have a record of any of this time and thought.

I have old letters from my mom and dad, love to see their handwriting still lively and fresh, though they are both gone. I have old love letters from old beaux, wrapped up in ribbons, sheltered in shoeboxes. I have letters from my sisters to me when I spent time in France as a student. I'm so glad they took the time to write.

Still, to be fair, when I write to friends, I always let them off the hook, telling them they shouldn't feel pressure to write back. I know most people can't STAND writing letters back.