Thursday, January 22, 2004

Healing

I am really bad at receiving help from others. I'm almost an Alpha Male in that respect -- not wanting to show my neediness or vulnerability -- but I'm learning it's completely silly to be that way. People really want to help others. And many people really want to help me and I am learning how to LET THEM do that. (Thanks Annie for opening this conversation with me.)

As I'm healing my eye, I feel a great healing of my stubborn pride -- as if it had been removed surgically -- and a new thankfulness and ability to receive care from others suddenly growing in its place.

First I want to thank Betsy Devine for taking me to my surgery appointment and being there with me, after my sister wasn't able to do it, as she was sick. It was really kind of you. And Matthew, you were a total doll to get me over to Betsy's to start this whole trek. Asking nightowls to do early bird driving stunts is terribly rude I know, but let me just send a big big thanks, for doing this early Monday am duty, especially after a very busy weekend for you. A bunch of folks from my church wanted to help me out after my surgery and did just that, but I wanted to thank Annie and Lisa in particular for nice things they did for me this week. Also my friend Adam brought me soup and movies on DVD's and took me to the doctor the day after surgery. And so many people called and emailed to check up on me. And flowers from AKMA and Margaret were a terrific treat.

Thank you everyone and I hope I can reciprocate soon, just ask.