Sunday, January 25, 2004

Guess Which Bunk I Snagged

About 55 cub scouts and me and my son and all their dads -- wait there was my friend Heidi, another cubscout mom, and -- about 3 other moms there, spent the night in a WWII battleship last night. Did I mention it was -20 wind chill last night?

Here's a good description of the accommodations:

"There stood rows of cots five high, and stacked so closely that a person lying in one of them could find his face only inches from the canvas cot above him.

"The soldiers learned that the top bunk was the one to have, if you could get to it first," said Lou Rizzo, one of the many volunteers aboard the Brown on Veterans Day who served aboard similar ships in the Merchant Marine during the war.

"You had better light for reading, you didn't bump your head on the person above you, and most importantly, when the sergeant came by to assign KP duty, he might not notice you, and he'd grab someone else."