Wednesday, December 03, 2003

That Was Me In The Santa Hat

I got out early this morning. I'm bound and determined to spend part of the day outside even when it's really freezing and it was this morning -- about 17 degrees! So you start with your silk skiing underwear, then you can still get away with cotton blue jeans (when you should be wearing wool pants honestly) and then I threw on a white tee with long sleeves, a pink checked flannel shirt, pink wool sweater, my silver down parka, and my red and white Santa hat -- it's really warm actually.

I was at Peet's Coffee before 9:00 am and didn't mind the cold all that much. If I stay in the house, I never ever want to leave.

I had an early morning stunt to pull off too. A friend of mine and I went shopping at Target a week ago and she saw this funny funky kitschy metal sign that said "SKATING LESSONS HERE" with a 1950's retro graphic of a girl in a skating skirt printed on it. She wanted it for her front yard, but is so careful with her money, she was torn.

She put it in her shopping cart, she took it out, she put it back in, she took it out. It was frivolous, but golly, it was only about $8.00.

I talked her into buying it but as we were at the check-out counter, she balked again and decided to put it to the side and not buy it.

So I bought it and she nearly flipped. She was jealous, but of course, I BOUGHT IT TO GIVE TO HER AS A GIFT.

So about 9:15 this morning, if you saw some woman in a Santa Hat in your garden, sticking a skating sign on your front lawn -- that was me.

I can't wait until she discovers it.