Monday, December 22, 2003

Terrific Day

I had a terrific afternoon meeting up with Kevin Salwen and Anita Sharpe, two local writers and ex-Wall Street Journal reporters who are so full of style and smarts and good ideas. They took me to lunch at Ted's Montana Grill, that being Ted Turner's cool restaurant where they talked me into having a BISON STEAK. Not bad! I mean you need to take a little bit of time and some dental floss to get the fur out of your teeth afterwards, but what the heck.

It was an amazing meal from beginning to end, but as I told them it started with a complete BRAND BLOW-OUT. Here in Atlanta, home of Coke headquarters, they served us Cokes -- real old fashioned Cokes in the green bottles together with big Coke Fountain glasses filled with chipped ice, just like a soda fountain treat and they were so good.

Meanwhile, everyone in Atlanta is so friendly and nice and these two seem to know every single resident. We had so many people come up to us and say hello, it was getting ridiculous. The place was packed too, with holiday lunch eaters and company parties.

The waitress came over and started giving me all the dirt on bison -- she got her first statement mixed up though, assuring me "Bison is very low in calories. It's got less chicken than fat."

I looked at her, "try me again."

"I mean, it's got less fat than chicken."

At this point I asked her if I could have the chicken-fried bison steak, the one that was 100% fat.

Ended up the bison steak, (which IS low-fat) was really good and we had a great meal talking about where this wild economy is going, what the business environment is doing these days and what we can expect in 2004. Sounds very very bullish -- or maybe bisonish -- even better than bullish.