Sunday, December 21, 2003

Ten Reasons I Can't Have a Dean House Party But I'm Having One Anyway



1. I can't have a house party because my house isn't a house, it's an apartment, because I can't afford to buy a house because I'm a divorced single mom with a kid, barely scraping by and my apartment is small and I don't want to have a party in my small apartment and have a lot of people show up with muddy boots and not have enough room for them or enough food -- which makes me stop dead in my tracks and think, I REALLY need Dean to be president.

2. What would I wear? I guess jeans and a tee shirt.

3. What food would I serve? I guess carrots, celery and nachos.

4. What if it snows? I guess it will even prettier then, I'll light candles and I'd ask everyone to leave their boots outside.

5. What music will I play? Easy, Pink's Get The Party Started.

6. What if some of my Republican relatives want to drop by? They're cool, it's okay.

7. What if a lot of radical weirdos wanted to drop by? Highly unlikely, everyone I've met connected with the Dean campaign so far has been kind, reasonable, generous, funny and surprisingly ordinary. They want what I want, to remember how to be a citizen and take back the country and show our kids how democracy works.

8. What if I don't want to talk during the conference call with Dean because I'm feeling shy? No big deal, I'll just listen.

9. What if I feel awkward asking people for money? Well, I might feel awkward but when I gave money to the Dean campaign before and they asked me for other email addresses of people who might want to give and I gave them those names -- those people actually THANKED ME FOR PASSING ALONG THEIR NAMES. That blew my mind, because I don't give anyone's email to anyone usually.

10. What if I had a terrific time and I was really glad I threw a house party for Dean on December 30th? Well, I guess I'll just have to try it and get back to you on that.

Catch you later. I have to go clean up my apartment and get ready to party.