Monday, December 08, 2003

Over The Border

Don't those funny signs that say WELCOME TO NEW HAMPSHIRE and WELCOME TO MASSACHUSETTS with their girly curly scripty font look silly as they welcome you home -- silly and wonderful and much appreciated. The font is a wee bit corny.

I started out this morning at 9:30, not at all sure what to expect, but the drive wasn't bad down from Vermont and I'm back in Boston now.

I've been in complete LOL MODE here because iBoston has SO MUCH SNOW. It's an embarrassement of riches and wet britches. I rented a car for the trip which turned out to be a good idea, since my car is completely buried. Boston's got a heavier, wetter snow than Vermont where it was a lot colder and the snow removal uip there was akin to blowing on a dandelion puff of little white fuzz and all of the little parachute seeds scatter. Not so here. This is serious stuff.

BTW, graphic artists, please take a bow, I was thinking a lot about FONTS on the drive home. Some of the trucks with the better brands really are build on EXCELLENT FONTS AND LOGOS. Just as God created the world with a WORD, it's really essential to clothe your idea in a great font with good design. I was looking at the 18-wheeler spewing grey snow vomit in my face, thanks, man, from MARKETBASKET and their tagline is in this total CHEESEBALL 1950's Helvetica rip-off font saying something like "Good Food For Less" and I was thinking not only how I happened to hate that particular truck, but their markets suck and are dirty, unorganized and shotty like their font.

Hope all you artists (I'm thinking swirly excellent Coca-Cola logo, I'm thinking Apple, I'm thinking simple stuff like John Hancock, with his signature) are getting paid what you deserve. You set expectations for the whole brand experience. You guys are incredible. I salute you today.