Friday, December 05, 2003

O Tannenbaum

I have to say, I just love my Christmas tree. It's only been here a week and when we got it I thought I was jumping the gun, but it's so cheerful and pretty and elegant in it's dark green velvety majesty, turning one end of my livingroom into the dark, mysterious winter forest. The little white romantic restaurant lights make it all the more dreamy. And NOW, it's got a big necklace of brightly wrapped presents at the base, boxes just ready for shaking and guessing at. All the familiar ornaments are like old friends visiting for one big holiday party and instead of breaking up the place and drinking too much, they are politely hanging off one branch or another with metal hooks in their scalps. I especially appreciate Barbie doing this, since she can be a bit of a wild party girl.

One ornament in particular that I love, and I might do a tree next year completely in thess ornaments alone -- is the tiny Dunkin Donuts white stryofoam coffee cups -- about 2 1/2 inches tall, suspended on a green ribbon, complete with the take-away lid on top.