Friday, December 26, 2003

La Nuit Americaine

This is a movie by Francois Truffaut, called Day For Night in English and happens to be my favorite movie. Was just reading a profile of Jeff Jarvis and he mentioned it as his favorite movie -- interesting because it's not at all well-known.

I lived in France and speak enough French to get by and in particular, love to see movies like this in the original. Weirdly, this movie in past years has been really hard to rent or buy without subtitles or HORRORS dubbed English which is dreadful. Since French VHS tapes are not compatible with the American standards, just getting a French version of a French movie has been more complicated than you would think.

I should go dig to see if this is available in French in the right format for DVD. I assume it's the same format as is sold in France? Am I wrong?

[Added a few links which answer some of my questions about formats.]