Friday, December 26, 2003

Dubbed and Dumber

I wrote below about a favorite movie of mine La Nuit Americane which has been hard to get in an American format without getting English dubbing which I hate, because I speak French.

An Amazon buyer explains exactly the problem with a movie that's dubbed when you're a viewer who knows both languages -- especially when it has a star who SPEAKS both languages beautifully.

"My problem with this movie is I saw the dubbed version and of course that is disconcerting because one is constantly trying to reconcile the visualized actor with the dubbed one. To see Jacqueline Bisset who is beautifully fluent in both English and French speaking French while at the same time hearing someone else speaking English for her is just a bit too much to take. I understand that the DVD version is in French with subtitles. I would recommend that you get that and not the dubbed video."