Saturday, November 22, 2003

Three Squares

Another way to balance your life my mom insisted on and lately I'm seeing the wisdom of it. It's so simple and so many people don't do it.

Ready. It's just so "d'uh" I hate to even write it.

Eat three square meals a day.

Actually I like the modern variation on it -- eat about six meals a day -- but weave those additional little meals around the basic 3 -- breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I try to eat

BBBBRRRREEEEAAAKKKKFFFAAAAASSSSTTTT

LUNCH

dinner

In other words, a big big breakfast, a big lunch and a small dinner.

If you live alone or are on your own for a day or two (travelling, for instance) it's easy to stop eating at meal times and just let it all slip. Not good. Suddenly you'll find yourself eating a candybar for dinner in some hotel room and then be sugar-high and up half the night when you should be sleeping.

I know it's so so corny, but my 95-year-old church lady friend swears by it and I have to take her suggestions for longevity seriously. She always tells me, ROUTINE, ROUTINE, ROUTINE and asks me when I'll be coming over for tea. She eats her three squares every day like clock work, and throws in a lovely tea time at about 4:00 for good measure. Nice way to live.