Friday, November 14, 2003

Roast That Bird

Hey, check this out. Early Bird, yup. It got me thinking.

I know so many moms who are NOT doing the bird thing this year. And I mean married moms, not divorced moms, but obviously I know a number of those too.

It makes me think about how many women are NOT living their mother's lives.

If my mom had said she wasn't cooking turkey and doing the slave thing in the kitchen at Thanksgiving all of us and especially my dad would have thought she had lost her marbles. Even the notion that all women like to cook or know how to cook seems to be going out the window.

I know a lot of women who are wonderful cooks -- hey, Nell, I was thinking of you. But I know a lot of women who would rather do anything else.

Sometimes I think we're watching the De-Norman-Rockwellification of America.

This is a time of extremes, the Bush administration with it's 1950's conservativism (and 1950's ancient leaders) against a backdrop of very modern non-traditional life.