Saturday, November 01, 2003

Pirates of Penzance

These lyrics came to mind while writing the post below. They are from Gilbert & Sullivan's great operetta Pirates of Penzance where the king of the pirates explains why it's just so much more fun to be behave badly.

His pirate comrade, Frederic, finds that his indentures to the pirates are over at age 21 and asks his friend to join him in the world of respectable people, but the Pirate King explains it just can't happen.

KING:
No, Frederic, it cannot be.
I don't think much of our profession, but, compared to respectability,
it is ... at least ... honest.
No, Frederic, I shall live and die a Pirate King.

SONG - PIRATE KING

KING:
Oh, better far to live and die
Under the brave black flag I fly,
Than play a sanctimonious part
With a pirate head and a pirate heart.
Away to the cheating world go you,
Where pirates all are well-to-do;
But I'll be true to the song I sing,
And live and die a Pirate King.

For I am a Pirate King!
And it is, it is a glorious thing
To be a Pirate King!
For I am a Pirate King!