Sunday, November 02, 2003

Neutron Bomb Economy

I want to believe The New York Times. I want to believe The Wall Street Journal. I want to believe all the news coming down about how we've gone from a in-the-crapper, oh, excuse me, I mean, how we've gone from a toilet economy last Thursday to a gung-ho, can't-be-held-back, go-go growth economy on Friday.

But when I read all these great happy-days-are-here-again earnings announcements -- I can't help but think of the line in Repo Man about the neutron bomb -- it destroys people but leaves buidlings standing. This is a the neutron bomb economy -- easy to look profitable when your building is still standing but you've nuked your entire workforce. Soon we'll be forced to hail the new worker-less enterprise, it's sure to be the Next Big Thing.