Saturday, November 22, 2003

My To-Do List

I don't think we're ever kind enough to ourselves. I know I'm not. So I've gotten into this habit of putting really EASY to-do things on my daily to-do list. And then they get a big CHECK when I've done them. We just never give ourselves enough credit I figure.

When I injured my foot and couldn't walk, I suddenly realized how much we do every day that we take for granted. For instance, when my son and I would get out of the car and come into the house, I suddenly realized once I was on crutches and COULDN'T help him, that I was carrying piles of his stuff, backpack, art projects, lunch box and tons of mine, mail, purse, gym bag, groceries. When he had to take up the slack, he was surprised too.

We both started to appreciate all the things we do all day. We do a lot. We deserve credit.

So now my to-do list has things like

Wake Up
Decide to Get Up
Get Up
Find Slippers
Put on Slippers
Find Glasses*
Put on Glasses
Walk into Bathroom
Pee
Wash Hands
Notice Toilet Paper Roll Is Out
Extra Credit: Replace Toilet Paper Roll
Take off Glasses
Wash Face
Dry Face
Walk into Kitchen
Turn on Teapot
Walk back into Bathroom
Run Bath
Don't Forget Stopper
Don't Overflow Bathtub
Pick Out Cute Clothes for the day
Listen for Water to Boil Water
Make Tea
Take Cup Down From Cupboard
Pour Tea
Drink Tea
Put Cup in Sink
Extra Credit: Wash Cup Now
Etc ....


With this level of detail, you'll soon be pretty impressed with yourself and how much you're getting accomplished every day.

[*Despite eye surgery, I still need glasses for close-up work, but my long distance sight is killer.]