Wednesday, November 12, 2003

Have A Very Merry LEGO Mind Storm Robotics Christmas

Okay, I'm sold and I know my kid will flip for this. This mom of six gave me all the inside dope:

"As a mother of six kids- ages 5 to 15- and a home schooling mom, I asked for this set for my own birthday, and the whole family has had a blast! We have Windows XP and have not had a single problem with conflicts. My 10 year old has built and programmed a bunch of very cool robots, and is now checking out books from the library to learn more about robotics. We spend hours building and programming. The robots can be built like you would build any Lego system. The constructopedia is easy to follow if you're used to larger Lego projects. (Think Hogwarts castle complexity with gears and motors thrown in.) The programming is set up to work like Lego construction. Different parts of the programs are in different "bricks". You select the bricks you want on the computer screen, drag and clik them into place. Then you download the program to your robot and hit run! Totally simple, lots of fun, and an awsome introduction to building REAL Robots-- not remote controled vehicles. The set includes membership to an online community of robot builders. I was amazed to see some of the robots built with this set. Robots to climb stairs, draw pictures and make peanut butter sandwiches (must wash the Legos afterwards.) I recomend this set to anyone ages 10 and older interested in constructing real robots without needing extensive programming knowledge. =) "