Tuesday, November 04, 2003

Getting Along Swimmingly

I just went swimming and followed it with hot tub, sauna, shower. Feel so good. My son and I were talking the other day about how you really can't feel bad after swimming, it's always the greatest thing.

So I'm in the sauna and some older lady comes in and asks if it's okay if she sits in the corner, "will it bother you?"
The sauna is shaped like an "L". I'm stretched out the length of one side of the "L" -- say the vertical part of the L with my head at the top of the "L" and my feet where the two lines of the "L" come together.

So why doesn't she leave me alone and go put her head at the other end of the L and then yes, maybe our feet would be nearby one another, but no big deal.

No, she has to sit like some idiot, right next to me.

Why?

This is like the friendly jerk who has to come and sit near me in an empty movie theatre, or the annoying moron who has to sit right opposite me, so I can't put my feet up in a fairly empty train car, or the jerk in the restaurant on the cell phone who has to sit at the next table, when all the other tables are open -- like try one on the OTHER side of the restaurant, buddy.

Anyway, she couldn't stand the heat after awhile and left the sauna.

"Will it bother you?"

What kind of dumb question is that?

YES, YOU JERK, OF COURSE IT WILL BOTHER ME.

What did I actually answer?

"Oh, no ... no problem."

I knew I could outlast her.

And the swimming was wonderful and mostly the whole day has been.