Sunday, November 02, 2003

Don't Forget To Call Me On My 487th Birthday

There was a write-up in yesterday's New York Times of the Pop!Tech conference that took place in mid-October, making reference to Aubrey de Grey's presentation about immortality. The notion that we might be able to live 1000 years or longer has gotten me and my son laughing like idiots all day. We've been having a lot of fun with it. He's worried he'll still have spelling homework when he's 100. And I'll still be bugging him about it.

I keep playing with it in the back of my mind -- I feel like I have a little stand-up comedian's stage and open mike back there in my twisty brain. I mean, I am going to need a helluva lot of moisturizer to keep looking young, at say ... 850 or so.

And all jokes aside, can you imagine holding a grudge, not for 20 or 30 years, but try 750?

I had tea last week with my 95-year-old friend. She is still bright as a tack. If we start lasting 1000 years, she's barely a teenager at this point.