Sunday, September 07, 2003

So I Found $50 Cash At Target Yesterday

And as I mentioned, it was all folded up like it had been in a kid's pocket and they had left it on the shelf while they were trying on winter boots. Yes, we're already buying winter boots here in Boston for our kids. If you're smart, you get them early. They get bought up so fast around here, if you don't get them soon, by October you won't be able to find any.

So my son and I looked at the money and he said, "What do we do Mom?"

And I said, "Well, it's not ours, that's for sure."

I could see video game titles were already flashing across his mind, as well as a million other worthwhile projects he could spent fifty bucks on.

"So," I said, "We give it to her and tell her we found it."

I pointed to the Target saleswoman down the aisle.

He looked a little deflated.

"But she'll probably just keep it," he protested.

"Maybe," I said, "But maybe some kid like you and his mom will come to her and say they lost fifty bucks in the boot aisle and then they'll get it back."

"I guess so," he said.

"How would you feel if you were that kid -- maybe it's his allowance and he saved it to spend on Legos and his mom made him stop and try on boots first and he put it down there by accident," I said.

"I guess so," he said. "I'd feel really really good if I got it back."

"Yup," I said. So we took it over to the saleswoman who looked mightily surprised to have a customer hand her fifty bucks, but also happy to know people still do such things.