Tuesday, September 30, 2003

Park The Car In Harvard Yard

I was trying to explain this the other day to my son -- how people use this phrase to demonstrate the classic Boston accent -- and he totally didn't know what the heck I was talking about. This may be because I don't have a Boston accent and he finds nothing even remotely strange about parking the car in, around and near Harvard Yard on a regular basis. I may have to refer him to Mayor Quimby, the Simpsons character who sounds a lot like Ted Kennedy.

Speaking of which, my kid actually tried to get me to let him do something terrible like stay up 'til midnight or some crazy thing, citing Bart Simpson as a kid who was allowed to do this and was a good kid and why didn't I agree to do it if Marge Simpson agreed and she seems like a nice Mom and I said, "STOP!" and reminded him they are characters on a TV show -- not real people. He did his usual "shucks" kindof look and shuffled off. I guess he really thought I would fall for it.