Sunday, September 28, 2003

Lost in Translation

So much to say about this movie, but I think I need to give it a few days. I went into Harvard Square last night for a great dinner at Border Cafe with a friend and then we saw Lost in Translation. It reminds me of a movie I've always loved, Hiroshima Mon Amour, but it's also so different from any movie I've ever seen, and SO GOOD, it's really hard to compare it to anything else. It's a must see.

The link above is from IndieWire's interview with Sofia Coppola. Here's a tiny bit of the longer interview:

Coppola: For everyone, there are those moments when you have great days with someone you wouldn't expect to. Then you have to go back to your real lives, but it makes an impression on you. It's what makes it so great and enjoyable.

iW: Part of the powerful nature of their relationship is that it's fleeting.

Coppola: Yeah, it's just for that moment. And sometimes with strangers, you can tell them something that you couldn't tell someone you know. But I just liked those brief moments of connection when they're feeling so disconnected.

iW: Did you ever consider a version of the story in which they were physically intimate?

Coppola: I liked this relationship. I've had friends like that where you have a flirtation but you're just friends. I wanted it to be more innocent. If they slept together, that would bring in reality.