Saturday, August 23, 2003

Sure, Put A Knife In My Eye

I have cataract surgery on Monday. I've had cataracts since I was 16 and it's high time I got around to having them operated on. At 47, I'm a young kid for this team of eye surgeons. They are used to seeing 80-year-old ladies wheeled in.

Here's an interesting website about cataract surgery. This is NOT where I'm having my surgery. I'll be in Boston. But they have a picture of a building here with maximum glare to show people without cataracts what it looks like WITH cataracts. It's a good example of how I see every day.

I'm a big chicken about all things hospital-ish since I was sick a lot as a kid. I know this will be no big deal, but still, there's something basic about someone cutting your eye ... well, it's hard to imagine it being a pleasant thing.