Sunday, August 17, 2003

Meet Me At Buckman Tavern

I'm going to see if my fellow blogging patriots can meet me at Buckman Tavern here in Lexington to start our trip up to New Hampshire to meet presidential candidates. There's something very exciting about living in this town where farmers and blacksmiths and candlemakers -- just regular folks -- took up arms, or more importantly, took up an idea that changed the world.

I live in a history book with 3D pop-up colonial houses, American flags, and a grassy field called Battle Green where they mixed up blood with nicely trimmed suburban grass to change the way we live. I like to imagine those guys sitting around drinking something like Sam Adams and finding out the British were marching their direction and deciding to give them a run for their money. I can't help wanting to be back in that passionate place where your life, your words, your country and your politics are as alive and personal to you as the cold beer stein you hold in your hand. A place where you swear to your buddies you'll fight to your death to keep your family safe and your children free and brave for generations to come.