Monday, August 18, 2003

Bob Graham's Speech

Hard to blog ... this internet cafe has mucho cool tunes ... Eric Clapton is here singing Layla. Very laid back. Cappicino very delish.

Graham started with a funny anecdote about the first time he ever campaigned in New Hampshire (for another candidate a bunch of years back) and learned how up close and personal you can get with New Hampshire voters. He met a woman in front of a grocery store in Nashua, NH who took a pamphlet from him, said reading it , "Ruben Askew, oh, yes. I've met him twice. I've invited him to my home for lunch and dinner. If he actually comes to my house, I'll seriously consider voting for him."

Yes, these New Hampshirites with their early snowy primary expect to be wooed and won. Great fun to be here hearing these guys up close.

Graham makes you feel like you're in good hands. I liked what he said about Sea Biscuit. I think the same thing -- the movie's about working together to get through these hard times. The horse takes on an symbolic role in that movie, becoming a symbol of the underdog triumphing over adversity, thanks to the hopefulness and dedication of his team of jockey, owner, supporters -- especially the guys in the cheap seats routing for him. Graham said he wants to restore the sense of "oneness" in America. Yes, sir. And a sense of fairness. I agree.