Wednesday, January 15, 2003

Larry Lessig In Deep Thought

With many other bloggers today, I'm really sorry to read these words on Professor Lessig's blog: "The Supreme Court rejected our challenge to the Sonny Bono law." I'm sorry for him and sorry for us. But as usual, I wanted to write about another angle to the Lessig story.

I've long been absolutely transfixed by the picture of Professor Lessig on his blog. I love that picture. Deep in thought, working like hell to get the words out on the net, pensive, focused, serious. It's just about the most perfect picture of someone in the act of blogging I've ever seen. It gives us something to which we should all aspire, dedicated thought and communication.

Professor Lessig actually reminds me of Betty Grable -- that quintessential pose of the pretty girl with the million dollar legs that every GI had tacked up in his barracks. A photograph with a perfect essence, a perfect expression of a certain time and place. I don't mean anything racy here. I just mean that the picture of Lessig is the perfect knowledge worker pin-up photo.

So thank you for all your hard work and please roll with the punches today, Professor Lessig. With a millon dollar furrowed brow like that, we know you'll be back to win another day!