Wednesday, November 27, 2002

River Horse

Last night, on the spur of the moment, I took my 7-year-old and his friend swimming at the health club pool and we were literally horsing around having so much fun. I was a river horse and they jumped on my back and I would gallop and sway and splash from side to side and they would yell, “Giddy up” and snap my bathing suit straps like a whip and I would snort, stop short and they’d go ass over tincup into the water on their heads. We also played surfer dude, where I’d descend to the floor of the pool, stretch out like a surf board, let them stand on me like they were surfing, until I can barely breathe and I’m almost drowning, then slowing, the board (that’s me) comes alive and I get up and toss them off again – on their heads.

I have been criticized by real grown-ups for having too much fun. Some see me as hedonistic, self-indulgent, immature, puerile and even irresponsible. Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!